As part of our 25th anniversary celebration of the reconfiguration/ remodeling/ refurbishing of our 1925 sanctuary, and the expansion of our Casavant pipe organ, we please to present world renowned concert organist, Stephen Tharp, in a free concert. Stephen will be playing works on the 1973/1991/2007 Casavant Organ, opus 3198, of three-manuals and 52 ranks located in the acoustically resplendent sanctuary of First Presbyterian Church in Greenwood.
Stephen Tharp is considered one of the greatest organists of the 21st century. He is the most traveled concert organist in our time, having completed some 1400 concerts and 46 tours worldwide. He has played in the premiere venues around the world and in the United States. In 2011 he was the recipient of the International Performer of the Year Award by the New York City chapter of the American Guild of Organists, considered by many to be the highest honor given to organists by a professional musicians' guild in the U.S.
His program Includes:
- Overture from "Music for the Royal Fireworks" by Handel*
- Allein Gott,, in der Hoh' sei Ehr', BWV 662 by J. S. Bach
- Organ Sonata No. 2 in C-minor, Op. 65, No. 2 by Mendelssohn
- Variations on "The Lone, Wild Bird" by George Baker
- L' Apprenti sorcier by Paul Dukas*
- Intermezzo in A-major, Op. 118, No. 2 by Johannes Brahms*
- The Fair from "Petrouchka" by Igor Stravinsky*
*transcribed for organ by Stephan Tharp.