Who We Are >> History
As Presbyterians, we trace our history back to the 16th century and the Protestant Reformation. First Presbyterian Church of Greenwood, Mississippi, organized in 1846 under the leadership of the Rev. Robert M. Morrison. From its beginning, our church had a close association with the Methodists.
The Early Years
The early church was a Union Church in which the Methodists conducted the services two Sunday each month and the Presbyterians the other two. The early building was located on the corner of Market and George Streets. Both congregations owned the building. The combined Presbyterian and Methodist worship services continued until 1886.
In 1887 the original building was sold and moved; a new building was erected on the original site and the first service was held in 1889. The congregation worshiped in this building from 1889-1903. When that building was destroyed by a fire, Jewish friends offered their Synagogue as a place for local Presbyterians to worship. At that time, there were 140 communicants on roll.
The cornerstone for the third church building was laid in 1904 with construction completed in 1905. The sanctuary of this building was built on the Akron plan and contained a Pilcher pipe organ of 10 ranks. A Sunday School assembly building, fellowship hall and offices were part of this building. Today, this building houses the Church Parlor, Heritage Library, Church Offices and the Choir Room.
A New Sanctuary
In 1925, construction began on the present sanctuary, designed in the “Delta Gothic” style. This room, with its elevated choir loft, vaulted ceiling, and balcony, contained a Moller pipe organ of 11 ranks. The following years were financially difficult due to the Depression. Due to the labor and dedication of its member, First Presbyterian Church’s mortgage was paid and the church building was dedicated on November 9, 1944.
The church celebrated its Centennial year in 1946. Because of the growing membership, a new education building was constructed in 1956. In 1986, the building was named the Van M. Arnold Education Building in honor of the pastor at the time of its construction. A week-day kindergarten began in 1959. The next project was a renovation of 1905 sanctuary building. The McIntyre family members donated a bell for the church tower from Greenbriar Plantation in memory of their father and grandfather. In 1969 a weekly newsletter was first mailed to members.
Growth & Expansion
Throughout the years, many changes and improvements were made as First Presbyterian continued to grow. In 1971, an elementary school was begun in the education building and continued to operate until 1975. The Wednesday Club, a luncheon club for older members, met from 1972-1996. In 1973 a new Casavant pipe organ was installed in the sanctuary. The organ provided the foundation for future additions that were made in 1990 and 2007.
The congregation purchased a neighboring building in 1977 which was used for local scouting groups. This structure was totally remodeled and named the Lolla Boyd Parish Youth Center in 1989. In 1983 St. Andrew’s Presbytery voted in favor of reuniting with the northern church, thus forming the Presbyterian Church of the U.S.A. Although this marked a sign of change, improvements continued, including the donation of a new Casavant organ console by Mr. and Mrs. L. B. Jones and a complete renovation of the sanctuary which was completed in 1990.
In 1996, First Presbyterian celebrated its 150 years with a sesquicentennial celebration. A special joint service was held with the First United Methodist congregation in remembrance of our common history as a Union Church from 1846-1886. Leaders from both churches led the worship and children portrayed characters from our early church history.
Throughout the years, several groups of our congregation have met faithfully, including the Usher’s Guild, the Men’s Breakfast/Bible Study, Presbyterian Women, and the Presbyterian Youth Fellowship.
Over the last eighteen years, some 375 persons, counting confirmands, have joined this congregation. They have brought new energy, new gifts and new ideas. A $1 million renovation of the Van Arnold Education Building was undertaken. In 2010, we dedicated another $1 million to buy some property, improve handicapped accessibility on the sanctuary side of the street and renovated the Church Parlor (formerly the 1904 sanctuary). We removed the ceiling and repaired plaster. We reworked stained glass windows. We also added new stained glass windows, small and large, to the Church Parlor and surrounding entrances.
With the addition of new members and the generosity of the congregation, annual pledges grew from $310,000 to $857,000. Benevolences to local, state, national and international mission doubled and some years tripled. We sponsored mission trips for youth and adults to places like Belize and the Dominican Republic. We established an Endowment Fund which generates extra funds every year. This allows us to increase our mission outreach and take care of capital improvements.
First Presbyterian Church has led the way in supporting the work of the Community Kitchen, the Community Food Pantry, Fuller Center for Housing (formerly Habitat for Humanity), and Delta Streets Academy. We have supported missionaries who have done extensive work in China and Iran.
Denominational issues within the Presbyterian Church USA, along with its precipitous decline, and a desire locally to gain clear title to the church's property, moved the Session for a decade to watch, study and make recommendations to stem the tide. In 1983, a particular set of circumstances took place at the time of reunion of the Northern and Southern branches of the Presbyterian Church. St. Andrew Presbytery agreed in 2016 to allow this congregation to make a decision about whether it wanted to leave from the PCUSA with its property to another Reformed body within six years. We are still deliberating that matter and God's will is being discerned.