Ministries >> Adults
Although the Word of God is central in all of our church programs, Sunday School is the core of Christian Education. There are classes for all ages which meet at 9:45 a.m. on Sunday mornings. The Director of Christian Education and the Christian Education Committee coordinate the classes and teachers.
The following Sunday School classes provided for adults are:
- Journey Class (Young Adults) – Maxwell Reception Room
- Partners in Faith Class (Adults) – Game Room
- Irvine Memorial Class (Adult Men) – The Jim and Ina Barrett Memorial Library
- Women’s Class (Adults) – Church Parlor
At First Presbyterian, the Presbyterian Women are a vital part of our church. Their history dates back to 1889. Even in those early years, much of the growth of the church was due to their efforts through bake sales, bazaars, ice cream suppers, and cookbook sales. Throughout the years, they have continued to support many projects, such as renovations, foreign and local missions, family night suppers, and church receptions.
In 1976, the congregation elected Mildred Standford Long as the first woman elder and Mildred Williams was the first woman elected deacon the following year. Women continue to serve as church officers. Mary Nell McIntyre was the first woman from Mississippi elected by the General Assembly in 1957 to serve on the Board of Women's Work and later was elected Chairman of the Board.
Today's Presbyterian Women group is composed of four circles that meet regularly through the month and they join together for a monthly Council Meeting. There are other gatherings, such as a Community Study Day, Birthday Luncheons, and Lenten Luncheons. New officers are elected annually.
Forgiven and freed by God in Jesus Christ, the Presbyterian Women commit themselves:
- To nurture our faith through prayer and Bible study.
- To support the mission of the church worldwide.
- To work for justice and peace.
- To build an inclusive, caring community of women that strengthens the PC(USA) and witnesses to the promise of God's kingdom.